Research & Documents
Some documents are available free for GovWin members. You must be logged in to get free access. Login Now
Government Research Reports
Federal Information Technology Task Order Vehicle Trends (Aug 2014)
Deltek’s Federal Information Technology Task Order Vehicle Trends report explores the trends, drivers and implications of task order vehicles used to procure IT goods and services.
Deltek anticipates that task order vehicles will continue to play a prominent role in the current IT contracting environment, with implications for longer contract lifecycles and greater use of preferred vehicles to achieve broader policy objectives.
Key FindingsFederal agencies are under continuous pressure to maximize productivity and mission success while controlling cost and improving efficiency in both IT operations and acquisitions. As a result, agencies have increasingly looked to task order contract vehicles to provide the flexibility and purchasing power they need. Deltek predicts these vehicles will continue to have a strong market-shaping influence on federal IT acquisitions for the foreseeable future as agencies seek to reduce costs, increase efficiencies, balance priorities and leverage technologies to meet mission objectives.
Significant implications of ongoing use of task order vehicles include:
- Pre-RFP timelines will continue to lengthen due to more in-depth requirements development, compliance activities and bid protests.
- Smart allocation of Bid and Proposal dollars at the contract and task order level continue to be critical.
- Agencies will seek to reduce costs by renegotiating prices during recompetes and consolidating contracts.
- Positioning on preferred IDIQs and BPAs is critical in emerging areas like cyber, health IT, big data, and cloud computing.
- Agencies’ desire for competition translates into more opportunity to unseat incumbents.
- Agencies small businesses utilization efforts offer opportunities to leverage those relationships.
Critical Insight for Vendors
Deltek’s Federal Information Technology Task Order Vehicle Trends report takes a strategic view of the market forces influencing the use of these acquisition vehicles and their impacts on federal IT procurements. Looking at the environmental factors behind these vehicles and how they are structured, this analysis examines the resulting trends by profiling specific vehicles and the most widely used contracts at the top 14 federal agencies across IT market segments.
The report will help federal IT contractors:
- Understand the contracting and policy drivers fostering the use of task order contract vehicles to procure IT goods and services.
- Identify the implications on large and small contractors doing business with the federal government.
- Gain insight into the IT task order contract buying patterns of the top 14 federal agencies.
- See historical spending on IT task order contracts to help identify areas of risk and opportunity.
- Identify tactics for maximizing task order contract opportunities.