Camp LeJeune Small Business Outreach Event

Published: May 29, 2019

Architecture Engineering and ConstructionInformation TechnologyMedical & Scientific EquipmentNAVYProfessional Services

The United States Marine Corps, Camp Lejeune held a Small Business Outreach Event on May 22, 2019 at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. The main message was to highlight all the different agencies within Camp Lejeune, and provide the attendees details about what each agency does and what they tend to purchase, along with an update regarding the future work needed to make repairs to Camp Lejeune resulting from Hurricane Florence. The agencies that were present for the event were: NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic’s Office of Small Business Programs, Marine Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC), Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune, and Marine Corps Installations East (MCI East). The main presenter was Jo Rozier, whom also provided the presentation for the Marine Corps Installations East (MCI East). Kimberly Vallone did the presentation for NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic’s Office of Small Business Programs. Major Joseph Common did the presentation for Marine Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC). Melissa Carpenter did the presentation for Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune.

NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic’s Office of Small Business Programs estimates the cost of damages caused by Hurricane Florence to be $3.5 Billion. Hurricane Florence occurred in September 2018, and was one of the deadliest and most expensive hurricanes ever to hit the Carolinas. The hurricane projects are still being evaluated, and they do not have an anticipated timeframe for their release. However, Camp Lejeune expects to release several MACCs, some of which will be set-aside for small businesses. They also must ensure the base is prepared for another similar storm in the future when considering these costly repairs.

NAVFAC is the Naval Shore and Expeditionary Systems Command that:

  • Plans, builds, and maintains sustainable facilities
  • Delivers environmental, utilities and other base services
  • Acquires and manages expeditionary combat force systems and equipment

NAVFAC purchases:

  • Capital Improvements – Construction, Design A&E/In-House, Specialized Technical Engineering and Services, and Ocean Engineering
  • Environmental – Environmental Restoration and Environmental Quality
  • Asset Management – Facilities Planning, Project Development, Real Property Acquisition Management and Disposal
  • Public Works – Facility Sustainment, Utilities and Energy Management, Base Support Vehicles and Equipment, Facility Services, Facilities Support Contract Management
  • Contingency Engineering – Disaster Recovery and Emergent Operations
  • Expeditionary Programs – Support Military Operations, Equipment/Systems Acquisition

Marine Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC) does not do construction work. The majority of their work is services driven, which accounts for 75% of their actions. The remaining 25% of their actions are for supplies. MARSOC has three divisions they support:

  • Marine Raider Training Center (MRTC) – Schools/Training the Marines.
  • Marine Raider Regiment (MRR) – Operators, the Marines doing the work in the field.
  • Marine Raider Support Group (MRSG) – Supports the operators.

Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune is a Level III Trauma Center for Inpatient and Outpatient care. The majority of their purchases are below the simplified acquisition threshold (SAT) of $250,000. Some examples of their purchases include but are not limited to: Medical equipment, Calibrating services, Software, Display boards, and Tools to name a few.

Marine Corps Installations East (MCI East) supports six major commands:

  • Marine Forces Command (Norfolk VA)
  • II Marine Expeditionary Force (Camp Lejeune NC)
  • Marine Forces South (Miami, FL)
  • 2D Marine Logistics Group (Camp Lejeune NC)
  • 2D Marine Division (Camp Lejeune NC)
  • 2D Marine Aircraft Wing (MCAS Cherry Pt NC)

Some of the things MCI East purchases are:

  • Professional support services
  • IT Services
  • Furniture
  • Cellular Service
  • Chemicals
  • Tactical Training Support
  • Aircraft maintenance components

NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic’s Office of Small Business Programs anticipates several construction projects forthcoming to repair the damages at Camp Lejeune caused by Hurricane Florence. A lot of their MILCON MACCs are nearing capacity, and therefore new MACCs will be needed to cover the $3.5 billion in damages. Speaker, Kimberly Vallone ensured the small business attendees that some of the new MACCS will be set-aside for small businesses. She stressed the importance for small businesses to respond to the Sources Sought and Market Research that they release. The contracting office needs two viable small businesses to respond in order for them to consider setting the requirement aside.