Deltek releases annual state-of-the-states analysis: Webinar to be held this Thursday
Published: April 29, 2013
Every year, Deltek analysts carefully comb through all 50 governors’ state-of-the-state and budget addresses to identity crucial trends in rising and falling priorities. Understandably, the past few years haven’t been so fruitful, with states cutting key programs, canceling major projects and shifting efforts to stay afloat amid recession’s strapped-budget undertow.
Fortunately, states are successfully weathering the storm, and this year’s report contains a bevy of potential vendor opportunities as governors’ agendas increased project items for the first time since 2008. Overall, the total number of governor agenda items rose a sharp 11.6 percent from 2012.
In addition to the report, Deltek is presenting a free webinar this Thursday at 2 p.m. EST so vendors can learn how to align technologies with current and emerging policy trends. Go here to register for the free event.
Major take-aways from “State of the States, 2013,” include:
- Governors’ renewed interest in performance-based management, particularly in education
- More effort to cut corrections and incarceration costs by investing in probation, parole and electronic monitoring programs
- Heavy focus on Medicaid expansion (both for and against), and how to reduce its costs
- Increased dedication to developing a strong future workforce by establishing a wealth of present educational opportunities, led by digital learning platforms
- Amplified justice and public safety initiatives due to natural disasters (Hurricane Sandy) and national tragedies (the Newtown shootings)
- Continued plans to streamline and consolidate government operations through technology
The report also breaks down governors’ 2013 goals per vertical market, with several charts detailing the number of agenda items mentioned year to year and technology-specific projects.
The full list of report graphs include:
- 2013 by vertical
- 2011-2013 comparison by vertical
- 2008-2013 average by vertical
- 2013 Agenda Item Popularity vs. 2011-2013 average by vertical
- Top 25 cross-over agenda items
- Agenda items with mention of technology, 2013
- Agenda items mentioned by state, 2013
- Community development, economic development/regulation, natural resources/environment, and transportation agenda items, 2013
- Education agenda items, 2013
- General government services and public finance agenda items, 2013
- Health care and social services agenda items, 2013
- Justice/public safety agenda items, 2013
To read the full, 33-page report, please go here. Deltek clients that subscribe to State & Local Industry Analysis (SLIA) may also request (via their Deltek Client Advisor) the Excel workbook containing all of the agenda data compiled for the report.
Lastly, please register for our free webinar this Thursday to learn more about the initiatives and implications of 2013’s state-of-the-state addresses.